The company announced a range of improvements to Android Wear, its wearables OS, here at Google I/O. Together, these should make wearing smartwatches from Samsung, LG, and Motorola slightly more fun.
• Android Wear apps can now access the Internet directly over Bluetooth, WiFi, or cellular. This will greatly reduce wearables' dependence on a paired smartphone.
• Wear devices will have a new notification design and app launcher.
• Wear app developers will be able to use more of Google's Material Design tools, which will make wearables apps look cleaner and prettier.
• Developers will be able to make their apps show data as complications–small bits of data on the watch face.
• Wearable users will soon be able to use keyboard and handwriting input to communicate with apps.
The new version of Wear will be released this fall, Google says. MS